View Single Post
Old 09-11-12, 10:38 AM   #33
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoJoe61 View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe they actually built a fully functioning (or possibly just surface running) U-boat for Das Boot. Along with a scale model for many of the submerged scenes. At least I think that's what I saw in the special features section on my copy.
There was a mockup of the deck and conning tower at La Rochelle, which was mostly used in the port scenes, another conning tower built inside a studio that was used for most of the surface scenes, a full U-boat interior built inside a studio (which is now a museum), and several scale models - which are what you mostly see both in the surfaced and submerged scenes, actually.

Another film was shooting at the same time as Das Boot - Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark. Lucas convinced Petersen's team to lend the floating deck and conning tower, and it can be seen in that film. In the process of filming, they actually managed to successfully break it and it sank in its dock. The Das Boot crew patched it up just barely enough to float for the final scene, in which it sinks. So if anyone asks, the film's U-96 was actually sunk by Indiana Jones and Steven Spielberg

edit: from Wikipedia -
Quote:
The outdoor mock-up was basically a shell propelled with a small engine, and stationed in La Rochelle, France and has a history of its own. One morning the production crew walked out to where they kept it afloat and found it missing. Someone had forgotten to inform the crew that an American filmmaker had rented the mock-up for his own film shooting in the area. This filmmaker was Steven Spielberg and the film he was shooting was Raiders of the Lost Ark. A few weeks later, during production, the mock-up cracked in a storm and sank, was recovered and patched to stand in for the final scenes. The full-sized mock-up was used during the Gibraltar surface scenes; the bomber plane (a Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber) and rockets were real while the British ships were models.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote