View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 11:30 AM   #12668
boogieman335
Mate

Downloads: 208
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's what I get Peter, if I disconnect the wire (Airplane Mode), and / or disable the online mode. Once connected to the net, the UPlay app apparently re-enables the "cloud" sync. But I do NOT have issues running TWoS, though I do have that odd combination of a UPlay SH4 and Steam SH5... It looks like Ubi is attempting to emulate the Steam way of checking license validity online each time you start the game, but they put a few bytes in the executable to make it easier on themselves...
My install is using the Steam version, but after the TWoS install during which the SH5.exe gets converted I can launch the game from either the SH5.exe file or a shortcut to it which I have on my desktop which completely bypasses Steam. Steam does not launch at all, only the Uplay thingy and it functions normally. Sync's to servers or whatever it does with no problems. Also the game is stored on another hard drive from where my Windows 10 install is located. In fact I have 3 installs , the first one is a pure Steam install for backup purposes and will launch Steam if I start it. The Second is a Pristine TWoS install with no changes to it, as a backup for it,and the third is a TWoS install with my graphics mod, the English language files copied from my Steam version, and a few tweaked mods that change the periscope graphics, water color, and the older Dynamic Environment(ver 2.1) wave motions which look more realistic to me. This 3rd version is the one which I use. It plays fine and has no problems.
So in essence the SH5.exe either converted from the Steam one, or the DVD SH5.exe with a Uplay download install of the game works , correct?

Last edited by boogieman335; 11-08-19 at 11:38 AM.
boogieman335 is offline   Reply With Quote