View Single Post
Old 07-03-19, 05:53 PM   #3
kapitan_zur_see
Commodore

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

End of 2019???

You might want to reconsider, from what I can see there's too much work in the graphic department alone to consider such a close release unless the outside 3d model of the sub and the water shader are actually pretty much what you aim for release.

In which case I can guarantee your kickstarter will fall short. Like big time, sadly And that would be bad since a subsim about japanese submarine warfare is quite the novelty! (though I'm a bit skeptical as to the real interest of playing japan side for subsims of WWII, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong)

I know, graphics are not everything in a game, but there is a minimal standard that even most hardcore subsimers (not all but it's a minority) won't go without these days. It doesn't have to look as good as a AAA game of today of course. But something looking like SH5
(which is already looking dated but holding good) should be a bare minimum if you wan't to attract a bit of attention on kickstarter.

I for myself just won't be able at all to cope with graphics that are on par with something like that, it would ruin the immersion for me, BUT that's just me.
My advice is to do a lot of work on this department before you launch any kickstarter, but maybe this demo is just a demonstration concept with very low-res 3d model just as a mean to illustrate things. But the way you talked about the 3D model makes me think otherwise sadly. If not already, I would strongly advise you to use a third-party 3d engine and dev tool like Unity, Crytek or Unreal 4 as they will permit to considerably ease the burden and the hard work on the graphic department. For example, generating a very convincing ocean on such engines is a matter of a day or two of work (since much of the work involved is already integrated into the engines by its devs). Sure, you have to give them a percentage of your revenues but it's well worth it in the end.

Last edited by kapitan_zur_see; 07-03-19 at 06:05 PM.
kapitan_zur_see is offline   Reply With Quote