View Single Post
Old 03-12-21, 07:39 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Brings back a vivid memory from way back in the late seventies when I was aboard a 20,000 ton merchantman in the middle of a heavy storm (Indian Ocean) I decided to leave the engine room and have a cigarette with a fellow officer on the bridge (Deck Officer)

We were watching the waves occasionally breaking over the forecastle, upon which were a car and cabin cruiser heavily lashed down. These were owned by one of the shipping lines directors and had been allowed to hitch a ride back to our intended destination in Europe (Antwerp if I remember correctly).

So here we were up on the bridge enjoying a smoke whilst watching the storm when my colleague said something along the lines of "Look at this massive wave approaching". I watched as it completely engulfed the forecastle for what appeared like an age and as the ship brought her nose back to the surface the car and cabin cruise were nowhere to be seen.

The Captain told us a few days later that the losses weren't covered by the cargo indemnity insurance because strictly speaking they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote