View Single Post
Old 08-27-18, 11:12 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Tech failure strikes me

Had done the once-a-year dusting of my tower-PC. `Taking care of static electricity, opening it, disconnecting power from graphcis card and removing it, using canned pressure air and a soft natural-hair brush only, leaving RAM bars, CPU + cooler and PSU in place. Surprisngly, while the walls inside had some dust, the coolers of the CPU and GPU, despite their tremendous size and many huge slats, had almost none, so the simple dust filters in the tower case seem to have some purpose indeed. My tower PC before had the coolers serving as dust traps.

All nice and well, all routine, doing so since 20 years.

Putting it all together again and then starting a test run results in a black screen and then a message: "Connect power cables to PCIe card". Gulp!

I open the case, the GPU has two power connectors, one light is white, the other is red. I switch all off, disconnect the connectors and the card, then pout it together again,and launch. Same message, this time both connector shine red.

I next tried an external powercable, put it into the PSU, and the other two ends into the GPU. Same result. Cable it is not, remains the PSU and GPU, most likely.

I searched and found a very old GPU, a nVdia 460, and used that, with external cables (the ones in the tower are too short, since the 1080 by Asus is a card almost twice as wide then the 460 by Gainward). And see: there are no white or red power cable lights shining, the 460 had none, but the system launches and works.

So most likely, the GPU is done, an Asus GTX 1080 TI OC. Nice. 9 months old, over a thousand bucks. Did not got much pressure form me, the fans of it, three there are, mostly were sitting still or running in idle or low rpm even when playing. Good news is I still have warranty, tree years. Tomorrow I do the phoning, for today I have enough of it.

Nerve-killing. For the time being, no VR, no serious gaming, no serious racing, only Gran Turismo on Playstation 4.

Any alternative explanations possible, any ideas? Something I should look out for, or try?