View Single Post
Old 08-03-17, 10:40 AM   #462
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkera View Post
Wow a ton of work and efforts thus far! Been reading thru all the posts and LOVING the concept and ideas. Keep it up guys it will all be worth is in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I've just downloaded Google Earth. Well, this tool gives a lot of infos !

Quote:
Great work ! This will be particularly uesful to place harbours' lights. How did you find all these small lighthouses ?
My main source is The Lighthouse Directory that you already know.
Talking about French lighthouses, my second best source is Les Phares de France which provides detailed information, historical background and drawings for most lighthouses, included the ones no longer in place.
Wikipedia articles on single lighthouses often provide good quality pictures and rough world coordinates. The quality of the articles themselves varies, but sometimes you can get from there information not found elsewhere.
openseamap.org, that you also know, is a great tool for locating small and/or little known lighthouses and beacons, whose exact position is not clear from other sources.

Quote:
Could you do the same job for the lights of Brittany ?
Sure, that was the initial plan

Quote:
A last note : some of the LH were built after WWII (in particular on L'Ile d'Yeu), and we should not place them in SH3 world.
I made every effort to only include the lighthouses and beacons that are known to have been in place during WWII. I might have done some mistakes though. Moreover, in case of doubt on the building or demolition dates of certain lighthouses, I often decided to list them anyway, postponig to a second moment the decision whether to include them or not in our mod.
Talking more specifically about the Phare de la Petite-Foule or Grand Phare de l'île d'Yeu, if that's what you meant in your example, the current lighthouse was built in 1950, but before and during WWII there was another lighthouse in the same station, built in 1830 and destroyed by the nazists on 25 August 1944

Quote:
You mean your excel file ? I already did it, even if I don't use it very much.
Okay, I will give it low priority then but I think I will update in anyway and make it available in case anyone else might need it. Great discovery on the constant terrain / unit coordinate offset btw

Quote:
That's why I wanted the top part to be smaller.
I got you now, but don't worry, the effect will be even nicer after separating eaves and railings from the current tower-top model, and making them destroyable

Btw: if you have no other remarks, I think the damaged tower model is ready:

While working on those broken/bent rebar rods, I have discovered an important exception to the second law of thermodinamics: no matter if, given an ordered system, its entropy naturally tends to increase over time; simulating its effects requires a lot of work anyway lol
gap is offline   Reply With Quote