Old 02-19-21, 05:15 PM   #2770
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Question... part trois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
When the time was right, I let slip the dogs.. erhm, torps of war...

Both went off, as they should, ships were destroyed & sent on their way to the bottom... that is, as was shown on the map, & the ships both launching a red flare... the Kasagisan Maru, went to the bottom... the Taisohan Maru, however... stayed afloat, a burning wreck... shown on the map as being sunk.. YET... refusing to do so, as it should.... it kept on being afloat. It NEVER sank below the waves.. & the good news despite that... I still got credit for it.

In addition to that, ran across a Jyunsen Type 1, sank that... but.. like the Taisohan maru.. it didn't slip beneath the waves headed for the bottom... completely. However, unlike the Taisohan Maru, the aft 1/2 did slip beneath the waves, the bow bobbed about like a cork... & the sub was still in 1 piece, with 2 torp blown holes in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's what your deck gun is for mister! Actually, that is part of the problem with both the flare going up, and the "sunk" icon appearing. Look how many reports there were from US skippers of "ship sunk", and they hadn't actually, but rather were able to limp somewhere, or ground themselves, to be repaired later. I have had similar, and one hit from the deck gun would probably put the JyunsenB down, while it might take a few to get the ship beneath the waves. Just remember, there are some fanatic gunsmen on some of those ships, that keep their stations until underwater...

Yeah, true.. seems that lil' tid bit of info, slipped past My ol' dusty, rusty beat up hd of a thing called.. a brain, missed that filter memo. Now that it's mentioned, I do recall that pertinent factoid.

Should I run into that, yet again... I shall see of having the crew man the deck gun & see of pumping a few into their floating carcasses...

Do have 1 further question...

On the Gato, after I rolled into Pearl to end patrol 7... & put in for a trans, (which only options for that were, either Midway, which.. was too bloody close to Pearl, for My tastes... too long of a transit to get on station.. & yeah, I know they dealt with that... not that I want to, & so...) trans applied for & was accepted.. I went with Brisbane.. was kind of hoping for getting back to Freemantle, but was not an option & Brisbane was the lesser of 2 evils, as it were. Still have some transiting to do, but no where near as long as Pearl or Midway... at least from My perspective, at any rate

Any who... back on point...

I did do a bit of upgrading to the ol' tub... I put in a dual barreled flak system, which is fine... My inquiry is with regards to a Bow mount deck gun & the aft addition of a what I assume is a secondary flak gun/deck gun... (??) With that as added to the sub, does it come with any additional crew slots or not..?

While in office there @ Brisbane, before setting off for patrol 8, I did check & there are crew slots for the deck gun, 1 for the anti air flak... but no others, at all... & knowing that others have had issues with gun slots just up & pulling a Harry Houdini.. well.. it does tend to make 1 wonder if this is another case of that... or not....

Sooo... inquiring minds wanna know.. is this such a case or is everything... ship shape.?

M. M.