Old 10-06-16, 09:31 PM   #55
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Let me just quote myself from the Steam forums:

The long answer is that it depends on what your definition of realism is. We've elected to focus on realistic weapons, sensors and acoustics. ...

I think it's important to remember that DW is a commercial version of a USN training simulator while ours is a tactical game about submarine combat if WW3 happened in the mid-80's.

During early development we went through several concepts including the traditional DW-like stations approach and we rejected these as providing to sterile an experience, and elected to start with what amounts to a 'clean sheet' design. If you want a very technically accurate but sterile simulation where time-bearing waterfall displays are modelled exactly true to life, then DW already does that. But you have to contend with canned scenarios where winning strategies can be learned. Whereas our game is about commanding a submarine in a real war, where tactical and strategic choices carry consequences in the bigger picture and you can never be sure what awaits you when you encounter the enemy. It's really two entirely different experiences.

Good summary. I think Cold Waters can achieve a great level of interesting gameplay and realism without necessarily adopting the full-on tactical displays approach of DW and Sub Command. There certainly is enough room to have both styles of modern naval gameplay.