View Single Post
Old 02-05-21, 07:53 AM   #6232
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

With the roll-out of Android 11, the use of the German Corona app becomes acceptable again.

The app is pretty useless, but on the other hand it does no harm, so - why not.

Some years ago, Google had ruled, without technical need!, that Bluetooth LE (low energy, a different protocol than normal Bluetooth) could only be operated when switching on localization as well. Since Corona apps use Bluetooth LE, you had to accept that Google tracked you and could establish movement profiles of you. Google, not the Corona app.

In the recent Android update, Google has uncoupled these two things, localiser and Bluetooth LE again. Its sufficient now to just switch on Bluetooth to have the Corona app doign whatiti should: detect other Bluetooth LE radiations in its vicinity and compare them to an anonymized database with infected Bluetooth users. Active localizer "service" is no longer needed (and why should it be).

People like me, who switch off both mobile internet and WLAN before taking the smartphone out with them (if I take it with me, that is...), count this as a biggie. For the same reason I do not use Google maps, since it almost forces you to be online and thus trackable by Google. I use a passive navigation app with just passive GPS instead, and a set of maps stored on the device indefinitely and without time limit. (Google Map makes it intentionaly complicated to store a small map, and if you have not used it for some days, it gets deleted again. Google does all it can to make you agreeing to be tracked by them).

Not that the German Corona app is of much use. Mostly it apparently is not. But even just a small number of "events" being avoided may be worth it - if you would, have been one of those "events". Just how the app should help ina vpoiding that, is beyond me. for the user gets no constructive information from it . As much as I favour protection of privacy and personal data - with this app they have exaggerated it (and with many other thigns as well). Happens often now that they exaggerate these things. No healthy reason, no sense of proportion, but then: too many dubious manouvers by both industries and lawmakers alike.