View Single Post
Old 01-09-13, 07:02 PM   #9
AndreasT
A-ganger

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 0

This is a touchy subject. Can get idilogical and ugly very quickly. I am German and grew up in South Africa. Went to primary school where most of the children were either English or English decent.
What I got to hear there. A total Bias for the allies and a rather anti-German view point.
In high school about 40% of the people there were Jews. I got my slack there as well. Not so good when in history class you what the movie "Holocast" and you see your class mates look at you. Brrr...
Then I moved to Germany and I realized what a difficult theme it is over here. I find it a shame that the expierences of the people from a military point of view is not really mentioned. No need of heroes but the recognition of the German soldiers is ignored. In my oppinion. A lot of small villages here have a stone comemoration the fallen soldiers of WW1. I have not seen one village have a stone for the fallen WW2 soldiers.
Thre are a lot of documentary movies shown here about WW2, but they are usually the same.
Hitler killing the Jews.
Which was the greatest crime, it is not allowed to ever happen again nowhere. Do not get me wrong.
British movies about the war are in my oppionion more fair to all sides. I find they show the suffering more universal.
If they named a submarine after a WW2 commander it would be a major political event starting the discussion all over again.
Ooops we don't want that.
AndreasT is offline   Reply With Quote