View Single Post
Old 01-06-24, 08:19 PM   #14
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I’m on the Last Mission of the Campaign!

It’s been a lengthy campaign! I’ve been playing off and on since Sept 2023.

I’m on the last battle. I’ve got to race to a nuclear reactor before the enemy destroys it as part of their “Scorched Earth” philosophy. I almost beat it this afternoon.

Wow - I wish I’d given this a chance back when it was current. Steel Beasts (the original game), M1TP2, and Spearhead all share the same concepts.

1. Find the target
2. Track the target with your joystick, keeping the target smoothly in the reticle.
3. Select the appropriate round
4. Laze the target

The Armored Fist 2 & 3 series does not have good manual tracking and firing. It’s “auto-lock” which I guess simulates the gunner finding the target and reporting to you. You can manually track enemy targets in the AF games, but it’s jerky and it’s obviously not meant to be played like that.

You can play 1994’s AF manually, with a hat switch however. Playing like that is not how I believe the designers intended so mastering the game that way is really fun! It’s gonna be the 30th anniversary of Armored Fist in October. Perhaps I’ll replay all 47 missions to celebrate.

Now to finally beat Spearhead. After that, I’m going to try to build some custom scenarios with the mission builder.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote