View Single Post
Old 08-05-20, 10:25 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Switched to the second of the three flyables now, the duel-jet-engine-equipped Osprey-kind of thing that is the signature aircraft of VTOL-VR. Good fun, though a bit tricky. It flies like a helicopter at first, but the more you move the engines from vertical to horizontal, the more it flies like a plane. Stable manual hovering is difficult, so is the transition from hover to flight, and vice versa. Precision point landings are even more a challenge if not using the autopilot, and then even compensating for movement of the tiny little landing pad (those carriers are really moving, you know...) is the cream on top of the challenge hierarchy.

The more I play it, the more I like to just fly with it. Sensors and weapons I have not even touched so far, there is quite some system diversity and complexity, and handling all that simulataneously AND WITH MY OWN HANDS promises to become - well, even more of a challenge.

This title has risen within 24 hours to my Olymp of VR games. Did not expect that I would ever "train" that much for a computer game again like I did many years ago for the flight sims of that time! I now label this title a must have for VR gamers. I also realise that my head and reflexes work slightly slower now than lets say 10, 15 years ago...

I just learned that you can attach hardware pedals, if you want. Else you twist the virtual control stick for rudders. I must say the handling of the aircraft, the virtual stick and throttle interfaces, works very, very well. Physics are convincing.