View Single Post
Old 05-29-11, 12:28 AM   #59
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Not exactly. UBI was planning Destroyer Command and worked with SSI to make SH2 compatible. When SSI was too slow for them (I assume they wanted to make a good sim and that was too much for UBI) they bought them out, fired the whole team and made SH2 themselves. The result, SH2, was the worst of all of them, except for the multiplayer part, and even that had to be fixed by an expert who was paid by Subsim.com.
What? Not sure where you got that info, Steve.

SSI was bought out several times during the SH2 dev cycle, Mindscape, Broderbund: The Learning Company, & Mattel Interactive had the helm, before selling the interest to Gores Technology. Ubisoft aquired many of the SSI titles from them. But SH2 and DC were developed and close to release before Ubi was in the picture. Destroyer Command was being developed by Ultimation (another company with a "U"name), and SH2 started out under Aeon, the SH1 dev team. Aeon were not hitting the benchmarks, so they were dismissed and Troy Heere and Ultimation rewrote much of SH2 with their Janus engine. By the time Ubi came into the picture, they did some testing, that's about it. (Page 170 of the 2008 SUBSIM Almanac )

After SH2 and DC came out, you are right, it was determined the original MP software (rTime) was pretty crappy, or badly integrated, so I was able to talk Ultimation and Ubi into turning the source code over to me, and lined up a programmer to convert it to some Microsoft MP code.

Neal