View Single Post
Old 11-12-21, 07:53 PM   #310
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

16 July 1942
Large tanker sunk by B-17s; bait ships again?

Malaya
Air raids over Singapore resulted in 1 Zero and 2 Mohawks downed, plus one Sally taken out with AA.

China
We're still fighting over Chengchow. 1 Oscar was shot down. The enemy is consolidating their ground forces in Chengchow itself, units that were adjacent have moved in.

Hawaii and Line Islands

A bogey has appeared near the blind spot between my search areas from Christmas Island and Pearl Harbor. Very much like what preceded the raid on Pago Pago about a month or so ago. It actually first appeared two days ago, I ordered a cruiser and a few destroyers out ahead of its direction of travel (east) to prevent it from getting into my shipping lanes. It disappeared for a day, then popped back up. If the pattern from before holds true, I've got a pretty good guess where his carriers are, so I'm just going to send subs there. No need to risk the surface group. I'm also assigning my PBYs to naval attack, if it's just a cargo ship like before they should be able to handle it.

Ceram Sea
At Babo, a small oil-producing base on the western end of Papua New Guinea, we sent 12 B-17s after a task force of tankers docking at the port. We scored a single hit on a Type 1 Large Tanker, setting its oil cargo on fire. It sank shortly afterward. They only start with 8 of these, so this is a high-value asset. They also had 8 similar Type-N large tankers, we previously got one of those as well, so they're down to 14 of 16 of their largest (and fastest) tankers. My opponent emailed me to demand that we disallow all bombing by 4-engine bombers because of this (he probably meant all naval bombing), I declined.

Reinforcements and refits
CA Vincennes beginning refit while under repair in shipyard at San Francisco
DD Woodworth begins refit while under repair at San Francisco
DD Ralph Talbot beginning refit in shipyard at San Francisco
DD Balch beginning refit in shipyard at San Francisco
DMS Southard beginning refit in shipyard at San Francisco
SS Tambor begins refit while under repair at Dutch Harbor
ML No. 303 arrives at Karachi
15th USN Naval Construction Battalion arrives at Port Hueneme (unrestricted, full strength)

Intel
SS I-4 is reported to have been sunk near Efate on Apr 25, 1942 (hit a mine)