View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 12:49 PM   #4
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by neistridlar View Post
While I agree with you that your other suggestions would be much more interesting game-play wise, there are other factors to consider as well. To me at least more challenging = more rewarding and more realistic = more immersive = more rewarding. To me currently the helmsman role (and many of the other roles) are quite boring in them selves, and the only thing that makes the helmsman position rewarding is being a part of the bigger crew. Having grown up with boats, having the vessels in the game move as if they were on rails just feels completely wrong, which detracts from the immersion of the game.

Also consider that I more or less "solved" the problem in a day. It seems to me that this would not be a very development time intensive feature to implent, so the return on investment might be quite good, even though the return it self might not be that great.
I can't fault your logic there. Maybe your physics model could also incorporate the vertical deviation side of things as well, as an integrated model providing both more work for the helmsman to do, as well as more work for the dive-officer to attain and maintain periscope depth, and to control depth both in response to operating at different depths (and salinity) as well as during DC attacks?
Fidd is online   Reply With Quote