View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 11:10 PM   #22
Giesemaschine
Bosun

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

Yeesh, tough crowd but I understand the frustration.

My DREAM subsim would be a modern-remake of Aces of the Deep - what a SP campaign that had! However, to lump Wolfpack in with the fortnite/arcade/MMO bullcrap crowd is not fair to the game.

I've cut my teeth on Aces of the Deep, Jane's 688i, all of the Silent Hunters (especially 1 and 3 with the GWX mod), Shells of Fury, etc. In 20+ years of subsimming I've never once had to walk up to the valves, flood both the forward and aft #2/4 main ballast tanks, blow the negative tank while passing periscope depth and then trim for dive.

I have to do that in Wolfpack. What is arcade about that procedure exactly? More arcade than pressing "P" in SH to submerge to periscope depth? "C" for crash dive?

I can plan, coordinate and pull off an attack with manual TDC and plotting tools in Wolfpack just how I do with SH3 - and Wolfpack doesn't even have an "auto lock" for targets that will compute the solution for you like SH3 has. Everything in this game is manually done, and if you don't know what you're doing, you'll be sinking nothing.

Does Wolfpack have the dynamic SP campaign from Aces of the Deep I crave? No. And I so so wish it did. But for now what I am playing is certainly not an arcade, but an atmospheric, technically-detailed and FUN subsim.

If it wasn't a sim, It would have been wiped off my hard drive by now. Trust me.

P.S. did I mention I hate fortnite?
Giesemaschine is offline   Reply With Quote