Old 02-17-15, 02:55 PM   #1
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Default [REL] DR3 Slide Rule

VO101_Tom SlideRule by Tycho

Implementation for Silent Hunter 3!

This is an in-game implementation of the Dreieckrechner DR3 circular slide rule, used by the Luftwaffe for navigation calculations. It is just as suitable for use at sea.
To use it, you will need to know, or study, how to solve navigation problems, especially triangle problems and the Law of Sines, and how to use logarithmic tools. There are a number of tutorials around to help.

The original graphics were made by VO101_Tom.
From the original graphics, I removed the scales for temperature and height, which are only used for IAS – TAS correction and not needed for submarine navigation.

I added a second black ring, which slides out and overlays the degree scale.
This allows you to use the DR3 as a normal circular slide rule, to easily and quickly do various calculations.
The inner black ring always rotates freely. But for the pointer to rotate freely, you must set the TDC to Salvo mode.

This is the kind of tool that was actually used by submariners in 1940’s before the days of hand-held calculators. Try it and learn what it was like!

The mod change the menu_1024_768.ini and Dials.cfg files. Please follow the included directions to make the necessary changes to those files.
By following these directions, you can make the Slide Rule compatible with your personal favorite mods.

Some mods, like MaGUI, already have devices which perform similar functions. If you wish, you can replace one of them with this one.
But that will lose the elegant artwork that MakMan has done. I haven’t even tried to match the quality of his work!
So, use this mod at your own risk!

Special thanks and credits:

Hitman, Makman94, Onelifecrisis, Joegrundman and all other GUI modders.
By studying their mods, I learned how the SH3 GUI works.

To VO101_Tom for the original graphics.

And to BigWalleye, who helped me and prepare the documentation.

Anyone who wishes can use this mod freely, without further permission from me.

If you have any problems installing it, contact me through the SubSim forum, and I'll help you.

Tycho

Download:
DIY_DR3_SlideRule.7z

DR3_SlideRule_StockSH3.7z

DR3_SlideRule_GWX3.7z

DR3_SlideRule_NYGM3.6F.7z

DR3_SlideRule_HitmanOpticsNYGM3.6_Fixed.7z

DR3_SlideRule_HitmanGUI_NYGM3_1.1.7z

Old post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Dreieckrechner Slide Rule - WIP