View Single Post
Old 10-17-11, 10:18 AM   #208
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That would work. But expending five torpedoes for 1300 tons is mighty expensive tonnage. That's one I would only use if my life depended on it. Usually I put 'em on my stern and do the same zero degree solution in the TDC. I preset the TDC into send bearing/range mode.

I hit ahead emergency as the DD comes up on me, lock the target and hit the send bearing/range button. Then it's attack map time. As soon as he gets inside 450 yards, fire one and hit crash dive, keeping full throtte. make a turn when you're 100' down or so, straighten out the rudder when you're at least 45º off course, wait for "passing thermal layer" and hit the silent running button <ctrl-z>.

That way either I heard a boom and I got my DD or I missed and I'm safe. Either way I've only collected 1/4 of the guaranteed misses of the high probability shot and can try four more times if I have to. This is about a one-third chance of sinking the DD. The key is to continue in a straight line as you dive until after the torpedo hits or misses. Then make your avoidance turn. Too early and he will follow the turn resulting in a guaranteed miss.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote