View Single Post
Old 11-27-18, 06:07 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I disagree ^ .

However, the incident in the street of Ketch seems to be an effort by Mscow to indirectly enforce recognition of the Crimean annexation. The bilateral agreement between Russia and the Ukraine for mutually agreeing passage of ships by both nations through the Asow Sea and access to the harbor of Mariupol is not the relevant here, more important seems to be international maritime law that guarantees passage of any navel streets by any any ship even if the nations bordering that streets do not agree or like it, and both states have not yet cancelled their membership. Russia benefits itself from that arrangement, considering the sreets linking the Black sea with the Mediterranean, or its passages in past years thorugh the street of Gibraltar or the Channel.The Russian claim the Ukraineans were in Russian waters only holds ground when the Crimean gets recognised as Russian territory. Internationally however the Crimean peninsula still is seen s as part of the Ukraine, and so the waters were the insicdent took place are not Russian territorial waters.

The status regarding international laws and treaties, is crystal clear. I never based my tolerance of the Crimean annexation on laws and treaties, but historical reasons and my sense for Realpolitik and recognition of fundamental Russian vital core interests.

I think the Russian move this time was very stupid indeed. If they want to protect their new bridge from Russia to the peninsula from getting bombed by ship, they should continue doing what they have done all the time: checking the ships wanting to pass, and when they are free of such risks, let them pass. Challenging the international perception of the annexation in this way, was a dumb move, imo. Unneeded. It creates exactly the opposite verbal fallout they wanted to see.