View Single Post
Old 04-05-11, 01:35 PM   #3
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Well, in a German fighter I don't care for the prop pitch or supercharger settings as those are regulated automatically by them. In a plane with constant speed propeller (this means that you actually set a certain amount of RPMs and the prop will always adjust it's pitch to keep the engine running at that RPM level) I go for 100% pitch on take off and in combat and 60-70% at cruising. Theoretically you can let the engine rev at it's max all the time, Il2 doesn't punish you for this but it's unrealistic and the engine is pretty loud and annoying that way. I usually switch the charger at around 2800 - 3500m altitude depending on the plane (and whether I remember to switch).
I never overheat my engines for more than mere seconds. The moment the "Engine Overheat" message pops up I lower my throttle. Some engines really don't like overheating!!! Also be careful with the emergency power. Some planes have special WEP systems that can only be engaged above a certain altitude (some 109 versions have that, I forgot which though). If you engage it below that altitude your engine is done for (nasty to learn that the hard way in combat)!

In level flight you can use a radiator position of 2 to prevent overheating, but as I said earlier I always keep them open to the max to keep the engine as cool as possible before entering combat. In a dive you can reduce the pitch to slow down the engine (I usually take 70%) this will give you extra speed since a low revving propeller offers less wind resistance than a fast revving one (be careful not to exceed the limits of your aircraft, reduce throttle and start to pull out gently the very moment your aircraft begins to shake from the speed or you'll probably end up losing control surfaces and eventually wings ).