View Single Post
Old 03-08-24, 08:59 PM   #19
Ryder7
Swabbie

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Hi there, SH3 GWX for a long time here, I had SH5 with Steam but never actually played before because of the Ubi thing.
When I replaced my computer, I decided to give the 5 a real try, so I followed a straight to point guide on how to install with TWOS and the new Ubisoft connect thing:
That worked perfectly. My only additions were Alpheratz's navigation and repair mods.
Now I can't go back to the others SH except for casual and/or multiplayer, because I'm addicted to not having a gps-like map.
Sure it has sometimes a few camera glitches, and that wake you see through waves sometimes, but overall with mods, I think 5 deserves more love, and I 've found my savegames less complicated than with sh3.
Sometimes the realism menu is confusing since you actually have to set them from a campaign screen, or that won't apply no matter what you chose from main menu. (That's why I believed I couldn't get rid of the stabilized scopes but it's fine now).

So, yes, IMHO once you survive the installation process and a few hidden details, 5 is actually both close to what I loved with GWX and its own cool atmosphere: I tend to use less TC only so I can translate Enigma messages, listen to the radio, walk around the boat, get lost with my drunken navigator and my poor skills in that matter, instead of quick teleport to a torpedo shooting position I kinda used to do more with 3.

Edit: that is on the defence of 5 but not to dis 3 that I love as my first subsim and it's own style, and 4 that I just started recently and find very nice too with a change from kriegsmarine. I also want to try Wolfpack and Uboot some day, but can't see a reason not to enjoy them all games!

Last edited by Ryder7; 03-08-24 at 09:11 PM.
Ryder7 is offline   Reply With Quote