Old 11-29-19, 06:09 AM   #212
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
That's something I will consider!
Yes, and the silhouette would also need to indicate which turret is connected to which director/computer/plotting room.
All of the three main director stations could control any of the three guns aswell as the secondaries.
So this schematic would need to be clear for the player.
There was also seperate night battle fire directors.

I cannot swear on this, but I believe there was a computer for each main gun, that's how I have modelled it now.
My question would be, could the turrets in local control use the computers still and communicate with the plotting rooms to get target calculations? If lets say the three main directors are knocked out.
The radar was also in a seperate compartment, so it might still be useful for range data, even for the local gunners.
Allthough many of the radar matresses/antennas was sitting on the directors, so if the director is hit, the radar is certainly history...

I am trying to remember which hit caused Scharnhorst to loose it's radar during the North Cape battle.
The Bismarcks radar broke by the shock from it's own guns IIRC.
I have started the mock-up of an interface and I think you will love it

You can easily see how complex a battleship is when thinking about this all, if I tried to implement all options the real ship had, functions and buttons would skyrocket quickly, so simplifying this while keeping it realistic is a challenge.

I will start with the interface of the 3 directors, each of them will have rangefinder, radar and computer, and will be able to control main or secondary guns. My base concept is to work with targets instead of with directors, which I believe is way more flexible and accurate to the real life procedures.

So for example when you detect a set of enemy ships, what you will do is identify and assign each of them to a director, then you assign to each director what guns are to be used against that target, and finally jump into the rangefinding/shooting procedure to asume yourself the role of any of the directors and work on the target assigned. The others meanwhile will do the same job with the AI, according to the orders you gave them (Hold fire, salvo, fire at will, etc).

With the interface I am creating this will be really quick to do, and from any of the directors you will be able to switch targets for your or any of the other directors, easily and intuitively.

The best part is that it all works with simple buttons and dials that, as far as I can see, are for the most part already implemented in your current version.

Stay tuned