View Single Post
Old 08-09-06, 10:55 AM   #57
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

Great post.

Another technique to find the course to intercept is by using the Nomograph tool. What I do is plot a course for the contact ship by drawing a line from the contact along it's heading to some future position. Use the Nomograph to determine where it will be in so many hours. You may want to mark along the line 8, 12, 16 hours for example. Whatever makes most sense based on how far away you are.

Then plot a course for the sub to intercept the target anywhere along its course that looks within the time frame from the subs position. You will then see the time it takes to reach that point with your sub at a given speed. From there you can quickly adjust your heading and/or speed to intercept the target at the best point.

Now that you have stopped laughing. Yes this is nothing more then guessing. Yet this quick guess can rapidly be adjusted to find an accurate intercept point that is reachible in time.

Once you know where your target should be for any time on the clock, you then have the choice of when to make the attack, dusk, dawn, night, whatever. If I'm low on fish, for example, I might want to go for a night surface attack and interecpt the target later in the day. Maybe you want to be in deeper water. The point is you can choose an attack that is most favorable.

Also once the sub approaches within 10km of targets predicted position you can dive and listen for it. You must allow time for this though.

Are you still laughing. Well I can't remember the last time a contact slipped by me.

Last edited by Harmsway!; 08-09-06 at 11:10 AM.
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote