View Single Post
Old 11-17-21, 01:14 PM   #6
2pfspiff
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecek View Post
OK lets see if I can help with some tips.

1) Get close. A good range is 500-1000 meters. You can shoot from further but this range is the ideal.

2) If you are using the tools from the scope to set the solution, do your best to be accurate.

3) Try to be perpendicular to your target as much as possible.

4) Be patient and wait for things to line up. You want your torpedoes to be going nearly straight out the front of the boat as much as possible. The more they have to turn the harder it is to hit targets.

That should be enough to start. It takes experience after this.

You don't need to know the following but if your are curious the thinking for these tips are as follows.

1) A target that is twice as far away is twice as hard to hit. This may be obvious but it helps to but quantify the relationship. So a ship at 1.5 km is twice as hard as at 750 and 3 times harder then at 500. If you get much closer then you have to worry about being spotted. Also your torpedoes have a 300 meter arming range.

2) Should be self explanatory. However I will observe that once you get this down, you will find that actually you can be surprisingly sloppy and still hit targets.

3 & 4) If you have a 0 degree solution, your torpedoes go straight out the tube and don't turn at all, then you can be even more sloppy with your target. For example, range has the least effect on your solution at 0 degrees. If the ship is twice as far out as you thought, it will take twice as long for the torpedo to get there, it will also take twice as long for the ship to get in front of the torpedo and it all cancels out. (Almost.) If you shoot off to the right at 90 degrees, the solution has to take into effect the fact that that torpedo is being shot from well to the side of the aiming point. A bad range here means the torpedo will turn more or less than needed and is more likely to miss.
Thanks for the advice. I figured that being perpendicular and within 1k is the key, I have been shooting off of an angle so the torpedo's have to turn coming out of the tube. Will give this a try tonight to see how I do.
2pfspiff is offline   Reply With Quote