View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 03:31 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I got the game recently, with all its DLCs released so far, in a smile price pack.
And I play it in VR.

I like it. Its huge, it has its moments, and in VR is really nice to get involved. It seems also that reviews have fundamentally changed and now recognise that the developer has spent the past years indeed to give massive support to what seemed to have been a dud at release. But that was 2016, now is 2020. I know from Raceroom how far games can change over the years, Raceroom was a desaster at start in 2012, today is one of the absolutely best race sim packages on the market. So a dud can rise like phoenix from the ashes - and NMS has.

It reminds me often of Subnautica, I mean the visual style and the tasks you are doing, just the claustrophobia and intense atmosphere is missing, while it offers the WAYYYYYY bigger playground. There are weak details, for exmaple that capital ships do not engage in space battles (so far?). Anyhow, for the asking price now, what you get in the complete package today is worth to be recommended for that money. Its not perfect, but it is solid, and in VR quite good. Me at least does not complain.

I compare it to Elite in VR, and can just usum it up0 ba saying that I simpyl did not ge tinto Elite. They game just did not pick me up where I was. X Rebirth I played a lot ion 2D, and liked it, soem thigns it does better than NMS, others worse. The new X game (in VR) I tried twice (with one year between both attempts) and refunded twice, they did not even care to get the player hooked by giving it a steering setup method that worked, I already got scared away by just trying to configure the virtual controlling (and failed twice, the axis callibration just did not work).

Bury the rough start of NMS, its over four years ago. What it is now, is respectable.