View Single Post
Old 02-04-21, 07:30 AM   #28
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Good points again. I plan to make several new heavy tanker variants, one of which will replace OTMS. This particular ship was recycled for SH4 and SH5, and equips several nations that did not really own similar ships.

When you get familiar with WWII merchant ships you'll notice that British, American, Japanese, & Norwegian tankers often had their own distinctive "look" - I'm not sure what tanker they were trying to portray with this. I personally would replace it with MV "Atlantic Sun" and her sisters - modern tankers built around 1941 and 11,355 GRT.

Lastly, one of my major pet peeves with simulation ship models? Crane/derrick boom position. Booms were almost always lashed fully up or fully down at sea, (as near to 90' angle or 0' angle as possible). This protected the ship from damage and also maximized how much deck cargo (locomotives, tanks, etc) could be carried - very important in wartime. A real crew never left the cranes sticking out in random directions. On the OTMS model (like a lot of other ships) the booms on the stern kingposts are dangling at a 45 degree angle or something similar. I suspect a lot of modelers see pictures of WWII merchants/tankers that were taken in port, and don't realize that cranes are at an angle because that is when they are needed for loading/unloading. May seem like a little thing, but an actual WWII convoy veteran commented to my favorite modeler that this is something amateur modelers often get wrong!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 02-04-21 at 07:40 AM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote