View Single Post
Old 09-13-20, 11:35 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
How close are RFB and TMO in performance? In my first campaign in RFB, I bent on standard without really paying attention to my speed which was 15kts.. In FotRSU, standard is 10kts and the best fuel economy. In RFB, 1/3 rings up 10kts which is still the best performance for a Gato.

I had burned up 1/3 of my fuel by the time I reached Hokkaido. That patrol was cut short because I had to return to Midway and fill the bunkers, then back to Hokkaido to finish my patrol. A lesson learned in assumption!

Not sure about RFB, been a long time since ran RFB. TMO you can cruise at ahead standard( which runs about 15.5 kts) and get excellent fuel economy. Talking a trip from Pearl to Japan(midway stop for fuel en route) and ha ve about 65 70 percent fuel left. Once in assigned area run at 10-12 knots while cruising, will get plenty of time on station, run back to Midway at ahead standard typically and make it fuel to spare. This also keeps patrol length realistic lengths. If assigned to the more far flung areas such as East China Sea or Yellow Sea, may slow down to 12 kts about half way to patrol area from Midway, saves a lot of fuel, gives more time on station with the longer haul than say being off home islands, but keeps a respectable speed.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote