Thread: Type IX/D2
View Single Post
Old 03-28-09, 08:16 PM   #41
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hold it! That's German source material, written by a German who couldn't give a rat's patootie about fleet boats. Personally I like U-Boats a lot and play the German side of SH4 about as much as the American side. I went four months after the release of UBM without touching my fleet boat. One of the tutorials in the Sub Skippers' Bag of Tricks, the Fast-90 Technique, is applicable ONLY to U-Boats. How's that for fleet boat bias? Any U-Boat fans around here writing targeting tutorials for fleet boats? I thought not.

Have I not said that the Germans would have obtained the same results with a fleet of American boats? Or a fleet of Type XXI's also? Have I not been the only one to object when a fleet boat fanboy said that the fleet boats were several times better than the U-Boats?

I think you need to re-read the things I've written. My contention is that the American fleet boats were a little better in most respects than U-Boats, although there were aspects of U-Boats that were better than fleet boats. I have said that the Americans could have won the Pacific with a fleet of Type IXs. I've said the Germans could have lost the Atlantic with a fleet of fleet boats, even though they were demonstrably incrementally better boats.

The Battle of the Atlantic was not winnable with submarines. They were not an appropriate tool to use for the job of winning World War II for the Germans. A great crescent wrench (adjustable spanner for those across the pond) will not help me work on my computer. It doesn't matter if it is made of titanium, is computer controlled and costs a million dollars, a crescent wrench of any quality is useless for the job. Saying that is not the same as attacking crescent wrenches. It doesn't make me biased in favor of screw drivers either. I own and enjoy both crescent wrenches and screwdrivers and use them when they are appropriate.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-28-09 at 08:51 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote