View Single Post
Old 07-28-19, 05:57 AM   #7
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Didn't Traveller's mod try that, and I have vague memories of others... The way the game is built does not lend itself well do such attempts though, main case in point being that you cannot separate the screws into "left" and "right". Probably the easiest way is to set yourself some parameters down on paper, and roll the die for each every so often. If you roll a "1", system is broke and you can't use it. Roll a "2", and it is partially broke, and can only use 1/2 of it, etc. But really, the game is broken enough as it is, and as you progress through it, there is some gimmes, and some takembax... It almost evens out.
I will check out Traveller's mod. I could live with not being able to access the individual propeller shafts. What I mean by components is the ship systems page, where quite a number of sub systems are modeled as individual components (periscope, radio, batteries, torpedo tubes, pumps, compressors and so on). I am wondering if these can be accessed directly by a mod. Some sort of code would roll a die and, given a certain result, would go and damage one of these components and give the player a challenge to work around.

For people who in absence of such a mod want to mod themselves using dice, here is an algorithm to simulate an m-die using a k-die, using the minimum number of rolls (scroll down to the first answer):

https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...al-number-of-e

Basically it explains how you can obtain the outcome of a probability experiment, say accurate to two decimals, i.e. the 100-sided die, by using a 6-sided die.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote