View Single Post
Old 06-10-17, 06:17 PM   #11
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

With the new config.txt options I think I may have found the best setting for MAD sensors.

I've set mine to 400 yards, then went to sensors.txt and changed sonobuoy sensitivity to 35 (from 40) and played two land strike missions.

In first one I ran into detection range of Krivak I, so I immediately fired a torpedo and slowly moved away. Soon after Il-38 came by, dropped a sonobuoy close to the wreck and after one pass dropped a few torpedoes close to my position. It was in shallow waters so I had to cavitate to dodge the torpedoes. After that he knew exactly where I was (probably from data from that sonobuoy) and was continuously dropping buys on my head (since I was already detected I tried to move away from the buoy as fast as possible) until a Helix came to continue the hunt. That's what I call AI doing proper ASW.

The second time I found the same ship, but this time I fired first. Unfortunately was too close and as soon as he slowed down he was able to detect me with active sonar. Still, a torpedo was already on its way, so I ran away, this time at flank speed (all the other ships were far away). After a few minutes I heard an aircraft in external camera (a bit cheaty, but let's say it was for science ) so I quickly used reverse to slow down and then went for silent running. As before, the May dropped a buoy and then flew over my last known position. After that he started circling around (one time he even got so close I was almost sure he's gonna detect me, but he didn't), checking random places within a small radius from a position I was last detected and then returned to his normal search pattern.

BTW, If someone is willing to find the more realistic values, I found this intresting paper on MAD sensors: http://calhoun.nps.edu/bitstream/han...pdf?sequence=1
There's even a table with some detection ranges at page 42. Can't understand a lot here myself, but I think these are the ranges at which there's at least 50% chance of detection. If that's true, then the 400 yards value is quite close to real ones.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote