View Single Post
Old 07-30-19, 07:44 PM   #17
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

About 5 years ago when I gave up on this;

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=211380

Answer to the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot questions is complicated and involves some speculation.

1. Silent Hunter 3 programmers quit.
2. Silent Hunter 4 programmers used SH3 as a base for SH4, with no clue which file did what, which is why half the program is unused and partially used files. One example is the speeds and depths in the .sim and .cfg files for the subs, actual max speeds and max depth in the .sim file is used, numbers for those in the .cfg file are ignored. Percentage of speed in the .cfg file, along with periscope depth and others are used. "crash depth" in the .sim file actually means CRUSH depth, crash depth in the .cfg is the depth the sub will level off when crash dive is ordered. "max" depth in the .cfg file sets the depth of the red needle on the deep depth gauge, has no effect on the actual max depth.
3. Silent3ditor was programmed by a guy (skwas) who didn't work for Ubisoft, and some of his notes were guesses. For the ranges, he's right about surfaced speed vs range, wrong about the submerged speed/range. He's right more often than he's wrong, but taking his notes on what does what as gospel will sometimes lead you astray. When all else fails, we experiment.

After reading this I spent a few hours fiddling with the S-18 (normally I'm a Sargo driver), latest is;

Submerged
Miles=22
Knots=5

With that I get about 60 miles at 2 knots down to 10% battery, with an 8 1/2 hour recharge time. That's with stock settings on the diesel engines power, I found that tinkering with the horsepower reduces recharge time, but also turns the sub into a dragster with ridiculous acceleration.

In short, the S class was an afterthought and uses different a physics model than the fleet boats, so we're still tinkering with how it works. Nobody knows for sure.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote