View Single Post
Old 05-09-14, 09:21 AM   #163
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
I've just depth tested my sub and started taking damage at 350M. I had flooding in the engine room and command centre. I set max throttle and blew ballast, but only rose slowly to a peak of 250M before sinking again. Does the sub speed make the sub surface faster? Also, is the crush depth the same each time or is it randomised?

#1 edit: Another question, what is the max depth to evade depth charges?

#2 edit: And another question: will there ever be missions to attack enemy convoys, because that would really sort the men from the boys!

#3 edit (I really should think more before making a post ): Are there future plans for a career, awarding medals and promotions to sailors, retiring old sailors and bringing in new recruits to train?

That should be everything for now...

Cheers for an excellent game that seems to be getting more popular every day!
At the moment speed does not affect depth control, so the dive planes don't actually have an effect right now. Speed should affect it, I just haven't got around to coding that bit of the physics yet.

As for crush depth: each tile of the hull has a slightly different (and randomized) ability to withstand pressure, to account for differences in welding quality, materials etc. So there's no exact figure for crush depth but it almost always works out to be 280-350m.

Diving below the thermal layer will almost always cause hostile ships to lose track of you and stop dropping depth charges. The thermal layer is affected by a whole bunch of factors but it is usually present everywhere except for shallow water in the tropics.

Convoys would definitely be good, I'm planning on having both civilian convoys and military taskforces. The taskforces will include aircraft carriers, submarines etc and will definitely be a challenge!

And unfortunately sailors on these accident-prone subs never seem live long enough to be promoted or retire, but I might add something like that down the track anyway, just in case!

Quote:
Also when you add AI subs do you plan on modeling propeller cavitation and have it occur at different RPM's at different depths like in Dangerous Waters. Another cool thing to consider adding is a mission objective to deploy SpecOps teams to different areas across the globe via ASDS or other means.
Propeller cavitation is currently modelled in reasonable detail for your ship and broadly factors into the 'faster=more noise' calculations for AI ships. And thanks for the cool mission idea, I hadn't thought of that but it would be a good way to add some variety!
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote