Old 03-18-13, 04:21 AM   #21
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth View Post
Hi Geoff,

Good to see indie subsim projects! I would give your project a try but I don't have a Windows install at the moment.

As someone who has toyed with getting the NOAA bathy data into a 3D engine, I'm wondering how you keep your download size so low? The higher res data set (ETOPO 1) is something like 200-300 MB in size.

While I would consider myself a more than competent programmer, I've never done any game programming. So maybe there's just some widely known asset voodoo that I don't know about.

PD
Hey PD,

No, there's no secret trick - I'm just using low resolution data sets. Usually no more than about 1000x600 pixels or so, hence the low file size. The one I like best (and will probably use for all future releases of the game) is the cleaned up version of the TOPO2 dataset found here: http://www.shadedrelief.com/cleantopo2/index.html
The current version I'm using has been resized to 854x427 - I may include the option for higher res maps in the future but at the moment I don't think the increased file size and hugely increased load times are worth it.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote