View Single Post
Old 10-04-15, 01:46 PM   #2749
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

cheers, that helps

one thing I don't get the hang of is manual diveplane control. i can click on full up but it will go back to whatever the chief orders immediately. is there something I am missing?

as for the rest: yes I realise that simulated and modded sub behaviour must be FAR from the real deal, but I once wrote an essay stating that realism is in the eye of the beholder. there is a fine balance between actual historical realism and gameplay which 'feels' real. So that's where my griping takes place. (must be annoying for you and if so, i'm sorry. lot of hard work done and people comment on tiny little things they don't agree with )

to illustrate: Sitting in my VIIC in SH3, at 190 meters, destroyer coming in, he gets his DC's close and the whole boat shakes around. no damage though, lucky! next attack, lights go out, valves break and water streams into control room. 'Cut silent running! Every spare hand on damage control!' It's terribly exciting and probably wholly unrealistic. In SH4 it was underwhelming. And now in SH5 it's just.... anticlimactic. no beautiful ominous pressure sounds, just a little SH4 creaking. then a DC attack gets close. no wobbling, no sense of being hammered. But a little more damage in yellow percentages which you can't do much with. See the point? Its the main problem all SH games had, I think. Getting the feel of the thing just right. Anyway I keep noticing awesome little details which certainly enrich SH5 and make it stand out. Real navigation is just fantastic! I'll say again: good job! BTW in the recon manual, the description of the Deutschland is mismatched, it's got pictures and description of the pre-dreadnought Schleswig-Holstein type. (I just love reading those pages, awesome stuff!)