Thread: Hello everyone.
View Single Post
Old 11-30-21, 08:00 AM   #1
mjc_72
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Hello everyone.

I just signed on and thought I would introduce myself. Way back in the day, I had a Commodore 64 computer and purchased a copy of Silent Service. It quickly became one of my favorite games, and I spent many hours hunting convoys around Japan.

About a year ago, I came across an emulator program with a ton of old PC games. I was having fun playing around with some of the old games from my youth when I found Silent Service was on there. It was a bit different from the Commodore version I had played as a kid but close enough to remind me of how much I had enjoyed it. I didn't really play it at all, but it got me wondering if anyone had come out with a modern game that was similar. A quick web search came back with a number of sub simulation games, but any "best of" lists I found seemed to point to the Silent Hunter series of games with mods as the way to go. I thought about trying them, but life happened and I ended up holding off.

Last week, I got a message from Steam about a holiday sale and noticed that SH4, its DLC, and SH5 were being sold for $2.50 a piece, so I figured what the hell. I bought all three and started searching the web to figure out the best mods to use. I noticed that the top links of pretty much any search pointed back to Subsim, so I figured I would create an account and check it out.

My gaming time is limited and I'm currently in the middle of a Battletech BTA 3062 (I like strategy games) campaign that will take me some time to complete, so I'm not really in a rush to start with the sub games yet. I figure I'll take my time to pick the mods I want to use and get them installed over the next few weeks then take them for a spin once I'm ready. So far, I've installed both SH4 with its DLC and SH5 to verify the vanilla games run and that's it.

If you have any mod suggestions, please let me know. I think I'm leaning toward The Wolves of Steel for SH5 and Operation Monsun for SH4 as they seem pretty popular. I've been successful installing mods for other games in the past and think I can figure these out, but I'd certainly take any advice/tips on how to go about it as well.

- Matt
mjc_72 is offline   Reply With Quote