View Single Post
Old 04-04-21, 05:11 PM   #2318
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
If you are doing the SH3 Mesh animations?
You ARE adding overhead that is not needed!
Good to hear from you again Jeff! The little work I have done so far has been using SH3 keyframes and watchman controllers to give a crude imitation of arms waving, legs moving, & other body movement. I am not sure how to use SH4's existing animation system to make bodies move. And I only model using Wings3d, which AFAIK does not have any animation capability - thus I need to export things frame by frame or rotate sub-parts using the Watchman function in S3ditor.
Animation is kind of uncharted waters for me, sadly....very inexperienced in that area. In fact this will be my first mod involving any type of animation.

Yes, I agree the blood effect shown is kind of gross and disgusting for a machine gun injury, so I will make the impact effect smaller. The screenshot was basically a test to see if blood spatter could be done; the test was a success except for being too large as you note (which can easily be changed).

I saw a video of some pirates being shot in the ocean off the coast of Africa, and the most noticeable thing was the very large red blood pool in the water from the corpses, as opposed to blood being flung up. So the final effect will probably consist mostly of a blood pool and a visibly injured body using the ObjectRemains controller.

Sorry to be graphic.

If anyone has good medium poly human beings let me know, especially heads. The stock SH4 AI ship crew are well animated but ugly, and the SH4 submarine crew are nice-looking but probably too high poly to use for AI ships and lifeboats, given that a typical ship will have 30-50 crewmembers. To say nothing of a troopship which would have thousands of men. For example, here the commander of U-35 describes sinking the troop carrier "Gallia" seen below; in all 1428 men drowned:

"A column of water had shot into the air from the explosion. I witnessed the sight of a great ship moving so fast that it left the column of water behind it. There was wild panic on the stricken vessel's crowded deck. Lifeboats were being lowered by men too much in a panic to let them down slowly and safely. Hundreds of soldiers were jumping into the water and swimming around. The sea became a terrible litter of overturned and swamped lifeboats, and struggling men."

"After what I had seen, I did not feel elated".

A nightmare to see, and for a modern-day game enthusiast like me, a nightmare to animate realistically, even with 2021's vast computing power.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote