View Single Post
Old 06-16-10, 02:38 PM   #9
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfish6 View Post
Semi-related, do you model doctrines? Like some countries rely on ground control intercepts to direct aircraft, others are a little more flexible. Or the AI uses smaller missile boats inshore, where they might be harder to detect, instead of steaming them out into the open ocean.
Yes, and we're stuffing all sorts of custom behaviors into them - use nukes or not, shoot only at confirm hostiles or shoot first and investigate later [a HUGE behavior difference], counter-SEAD evasion levels etc. If training as a discrete performance factor is eventually modeled, it will most probably be included as a doctrine option.

There is a specific aspect of our doctrine implementation that makes them extremely powerful... but that is probably worth an entire article by itself so best save it for then.

Quote:
Sorry - WX = weather, MX = maintenance. I was curious to know if/how weather affected gameplay (would an SS-N-22 be effective if the targets were steaming in a heavy sea state?) and if maintenance issues would affect platforms (i.e. one of your E-2s is getting an engine replacement and is not available for tasking, or a CIWS on a ship is broken and inoperable)
Weather - yes, and we're adding some things that no other comparable game has touched until now, such as grounding non-NAW capable aircraft (the sky is a lot less busy on nights and foul-weather days).
Maintenance - not much yet (except aircraft), but we have the hooks in place and will likely expand on it (priorities permitting).

Quote:
I'm curious to know how ground combat might work. I realize it'll be abstracted at best, but can we launch LCACs from our Gators and land Marines with them? Use helicopters to transport SEAL teams?
That's not so much about ground combat (which works, and it's a blast to watch) but rather units spawning other units, which is a bit more complex than it sounds. No promises but we want it too.

Quote:
Will maritime interdiction ops/ship boardings be modeled at all? I'm specifically thinking of Somali pirates boarding ships and the various navies boarding/inspecting Somali pirate ships. Might be interesting if you've got two RHIBs closing in on a dhow and shots are fired...
If/when we do implement this, it will almost certainly be more sophisticated than a 50% die roll (cough, cough).
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote