Old 04-10-21, 09:52 AM   #604
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad Friedrich View Post
Thanks for the latest update.
Glad to see it in a somewhat more compelling and informative form.

But one thing struck me right away.
The interior. More precisely: the textures.

If a Uboat would be so dirty, with stains all over the the walls and wooden surfaces or the placeholder textures of smeared diesel engines, the commander would certainly impose a vacation and shore leave ban. He would probably roar quite loudly while doing so...
Apart from the fact that the petty officers would run through the boat assigning extra shifts for the cleaning service until everything is sparkling clean. They probably wouldn't sound very friendly either.

It may be that the German Uboats were not known for being particularly hygienic - but dirty and scruffy, that should probably not happen in any navy in the world.

Anyone who has ever sailed a Navy ship knows that cleaning (and derusting and painting) is one of the main occupations of the lower ranks.

A filthy Uboat like this is quite unrealitic.
I don't know about that. Sure, naval vessels in general are kept in a high state of cleanliness, but WWII diesel boats (aka pigboats), especially U-boats were not clean at all (from my readings). They were cramped, smelly, very damp, and hard to clean. Das Boot (the book) gave me the impression that U-boats were looked down upon by the surface navy.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote