View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 07:22 AM   #9
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Folks,

I present a few points for your consideration and then I have a request:

1. It is VERY difficult to get any hard unclassified data on naval and particularly submarine performance after about 1955. In any Navy. Anywhere. So civilians working on naval history, games, and modifications have a limited dataset to begin with.
2. Then language barriers set in. I read a lot about World War 1 and 2 naval combat. I know that, in English sources, it's still very difficult to get some information in my native tongue that Japanese sources have had in them for decades. I know that there are still huge gaps in the (English language) sources on Jutland and it happened over 100 years ago. So a game written by English speakers is likely to rely on sources in English and a mod made by Russian speakers is likely to rely on sources in Russian.

My request:
I know I'm just returning to the party here and I seem to have stumbled into a long standing argument...but I'd really like to keep "accusations" on nationalism in our games/mods out of my thread if I can. I appreciate both sets of comments here: ET2SN's because I, while not there in the 80s, have been "there" in general and have seen some of the same data he's seen and p7p8's because you're clearly very familiar with the mod in question. I'm always trying to be conscious of my own bias and remembering that, even though the US was reading Japanese codes in the 30s and watching their exercises, they didn't know about the Long Lance torpedo until late in the war.

Thank you all for your continued assistance.

v/r
Andy P.
feld is offline   Reply With Quote