View Single Post
Old 09-09-12, 06:28 PM   #44
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
One question tho. Why wouldn't moral increase if your men are doing what they'e supposed to do..... fight the war? I'd think moral would decrease if they just sat around with nothing to do.
In the last few days I had a look at many historical type VII patrol reports. I noticed that, especially at the beginning of the conflict, U-boat war patrols rarely exceeded 4-6 weeks, even if they had still fuel and plenty of torpedoes left. Though not being the norm, returning at base even not having spotted any contact or fired a single eel was quite a common occurrence.

On the contrary, what happens in SH5 is that virtual captains can keep their boat at sea ad libitum, as long as they have enough fuel and ammo left. In my opinion this is utterly unrealistic, and might contribute by a big extent to the unrelistically high tonnage figures per patrol that people are often complaining for.

So, returning to the topic of this thread, I agree that succesful attacks should slightly increase crew morale and, by a bigger measure, morale pool. But in the meanwhile I would expect that during unusually long patrols crew's morale and their overall efficiency would drop so much that tonnage sunk couldn't compensate for it, forcing us to return to base at full speed before the general mutiny.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote