View Single Post
Old 01-22-09, 11:13 PM   #1
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Operational level war gaming.

Not sure if anyone else will be keen, but in the interests of sharing the good stuff

I've been having a blast with Conquest of the Aegean, set in 1941 during the German and Italian advances through Greece, the capture of Crete and some early Desert War action, with some hypotheticals such as the invasion of Malta.
The AI is relatively strong, both when assisting the player (orders are given to formation HQs - ranging from the single company or platoon through Battalion HQs with their companies and support elements, all the way up to Corps comprised of several Divisions, plus support regiments or brigades - the orders take some time to be developed, and propagated to the subordinate units - but the need to micromanage each element in order to just make an administrative advance is purely optional), or when attempting to make life hard for the player as his opponent.
Combat and movement are free, not depending on hex grids or fixed turns but influenced by the terrain in which they are deployed. Units tend to slow and become less effective if they are over-used and suffer fatigue or run low on basic supplies, but casualties are generally low if units aren't overrun or surrounded when they can be forced to surrender by superior forces.
This is the only wargame system I've played where I've not felt that I was fighting against the artificial game system, rather than against an opponent using reasonably sensible manouvers and tactics.