View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 01:30 AM   #91
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default WEEKLY UPDATE

A day and a good number of hours late - but I've been burning the midnight oil to try to get this out ASAP.

Hello again!

First things first, though - just a little catch-up, this week cruise missiles, helicopters and aviation facilities have gotten some touches, nothing quite ready to show off - but next week perhaps, now that I've got a workflow for videos, perhaps something with the Seasprite...

And about the video thing. First videos released of the game!

Awhile ago someone asked how the water looks in motion, and I said it looks even better than it does in still pictures - well now I finally get to show that off!

Sadly I don't think Youtube links embed here, but here's some links: [Edit: They do! Huzzah!]

The more interesting video with a ship sailing around - but a little preface, the strange black cubes with white outlines in the background are sort of calibration tools I've been using to make sure the ocean's actual wave heights line up with what the "Sea State" variable is. Also, the video capture didn't record my mouse, so you don't see me clicking buttons, but they aren't clicking themselves.

Whenever a new speed is ordered from the presets (all stop, ahead 1/3, ahead full, etc.) the ship's bell rings - that'll probably get removed with a bit more research on nautical tradition, since I don't think that's accurate? I also zoom the map in, lay a nav point, remove it, and click the buttons for auto-steer and auto-navigate.

And finally, if I had a more general audience I'd probably have cut out the part from Sea State 7.5 to 9 and back to 7.5 - there's lots of clipping - but I trust this audience to understand it's a WIP, and Sea States 7.5-9 probably won't even appear in gameplay much, anyways, since that would indicate an exceptionally severe storm or even a hurricane. Very unusual.

But at any rate, I'm quite excited to show off the varying time of day and the ocean in its full animated splendor.

And here's the one centered on the calibration cubes - each are properly sized for their labels - "Sea State X limit" is the correct number of meters tall to indicate the maximum wave height for the ocean at Sea State X. Keep in mind Sea State X.1 will go over those (fencepost problem).

Enjoy.

Last edited by AzureSkies; 08-01-19 at 01:45 AM.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote