View Single Post
Old 02-28-19, 11:56 AM   #28
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR DPH View Post
Yep, that's the focus in the Cold Waters game. The developers deliberately chose not to include much of the logistical work of transiting from place to place, setting up intercept positions or dealing with the time constraints of doing all the between missions stuff.

If you want a true sub simulator that incorporates those aspects of attack sub life, you'll need to find them elsewhere.

In this game, your targets are relatively close, go find them, identify them, then kill them and repeat.

Lamenting on the game aspects that don't match other game titles is kind of pointless as CW was never intended to duplicate a "real life" sub experience.

CW is a quick paced underwater first person shooter.
Oh I believe you, and it does seem clear that it is what the developers intended.

However, I disagree with you that it is "pointless," because if users do not express their lack of satisfaction with this sort of game design then they have no one to blame but themselves when they get more of it.

Certainly nothing wrong whatsoever with an "underwater first person shooter." But a game with all the capabilities to be that AND so much more, and which fails to provide both the former and the latter in two or more separate play modes is a shame IMO.

Like I said, seems a real missed golden opportunity. I for one will get about half or one third the use time out of the game because to me, (a) the params that control how the engagements unfold are stupid simply BECAUSE how an engagement initiates and unfolds SHOULD depend on the "in-between" engagement process; (b) the tools provided to make the stupidity of the engagements less unsavory are lacking (lack of moddability, one time compression setting).