View Single Post
Old 12-17-15, 03:32 AM   #19
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Seeing this thread is giving me the desire to pick up a Finnish mosin nagant.
I'd love to get my hands on a Suomi KP/-31.

17 December - DAY 18 of Winter War

Central Isthmus: this morning Soviet infantry and tanks launched their first major offensive at Summa. The tanks penetrate the Finnish positions, but the infantry are held at the front line.

Eastern Isthmus: at 8.15 Soviet troops continue the offensive at Taipale. The attempted breakthrough is thwarted mainly by Finnish artillery fire.

Petsamo: the vanguard of the Russian regiment overcomes the Finnish holding detachment near Porojärvi.

Northern Finland: fighting to retake the parish village at Suomussalmi continues.

Petsamo: Detachment Pennanen retreats to the River Kornettijoki, 120 km south of Petsamo. The fighting disperses into skirmishes between patrols.

Ladoga Karelia: Finland is forced to send 17-19-year-old schoolboys into battle at Salmi.

Mursula: the Finnish force fighting at Mursula on the shores of Lake Ladoga lose 26% of its strength and has to retreat. 32 Finnish soldiers are dead or missing. The enemy loses 300 men.

Helsinki: Isoviha ('The Great Wrath'), directed by Kalle Kaarna, receives its premiere screening in Helsinki. Starring Hilkka Helinä, Kalevi Mykkänen and Santeri Karilo, Isoviha was banned during the negotiations on the eve of the war, and the version screened now is still partly censored.

(Click for larger photos)

Soviet tanks advancing. The one on the right in the first photo has been disabled, the left one however keeps advancing. River Kollaanjoki, December 17.

Map of Karelia:
http://i.imgur.com/Y7abkjv.jpg

Daily losses: 193

Last edited by Dowly; 02-12-16 at 04:12 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote