View Single Post
Old 02-14-23, 10:40 PM   #2
BrendaEM
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I was trying to find a chart of the percentage of diesel engine hydrolock survivability. I should think that some military somewhere has one.
Though, I did find an actual submarine diesel repair manual, showing the repair components well enough to model: https://maritime.org/doc/fleetsub/diesel/chap3.php
Oddly, it appears that some diesels had an extra inspection port that a main-bearing cap and connecting rod could be swapped.

As a thought experiment, it would seem that flooded engines offer some interesting game scenarios. None of this has to be modeled, but perhaps there could game-wise be...

Levels of water intrusion:
  1. Mist (Near the water surface, mist enters the intake)
  2. Sip (Single wave enters intake)
  3. Gulp (Intake is submerged for more than an instant
Levels of engine RPM:
  1. Idle
  2. Running Slow
  3. Running Fast
Yielding 5 levels of engine trouble:
  1. Sputter in warning, giving visible smoke to alert enemy
  2. Engine stall without damage, giving visible smoke. Water needs to be cleared (See below)
  3. Engine has minor damage. It runs with rapping sound and decreased performance
  4. Engine is damaged but can be repaired. Main bearing cap would be removed, if available, a new piston-connecting rod installed, taking an hour or so (each)
  5. Engine is irreparably damaged. Connecting rod penetrates engine block. Remaining engine, or battery power only
If the engine is not running, the engine cylinders would fill with water, same as a minor stall.

Stall Repair:
  1. Flame valves are opened
  2. Engine is cranked spraying water out, which would be humorous, if not for the destroyers
  3. Flame valves are closed
  4. Engine starts
Minor Engine Damage Repair:
  1. Engine runs with rapping sound and decreased performance.
Major Engine Damage Repair:
  1. Main bearing cap is removed.
  2. Piston, connecting-rod combo is taken from inventory or corner of the engine compartment
  3. Old piston and connecting-rod is removed
  4. New piston is installed, by wrenching at crankcase
  5. Main bearing cap is reinstalled
  6. (Same as above) Flame valves are opened
  7. (Same as above) Engine is cranked spraying water out
  8. (Same as above) Flame valves are closed
  9. Engine starts
Unrepairable Engine Damage:
  1. Engine cannot be repaired, connecting rod is shown penetrating the engine block
  2. Remaining engine can be used, if available, giving half the speed and charging
The Resources, if shown:
  1. Good piston-connecting rod model and texture. (I can make one if you need it.) This can just be an inventory thing that sits somewhere in the engine compartment
  2. Bad piston-connecting rod model and texture, same but bent connecting rod, which would be easier than a two-piece thing. This resource would also be toggled for engine failure, showing it penetrating crankcase.
  3. Main bearing cap with bolts still sticking out of it model and texture. (I can make it if you need it.)
  4. Water-spray particle-effect animation for the engine port. Perhaps I can make it, maybe.
  5. (Extra) a wrench or socket-wrench model, for a submariner repair animation. A submariner would sit at the engine wrenching at the bottom of the crankcase
  6. (Extra) damaged engine rapping sound. I could mix this in.
Going really far: In the long term, the crankcase oil needs to be changed, or engine degrades over time, for a campaign of something.
Perhaps it might be possible to damage an engine and it still run, with a rapping sound.

Last edited by BrendaEM; 02-14-23 at 11:38 PM.
BrendaEM is offline   Reply With Quote