View Single Post
Old 09-02-22, 03:52 PM   #1127
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Wreckless View Post
Doing the pre PH missions. Last mission was patrol off Guam. War started and all I got was driven under by ASW aircraft. Decided to head for Saipan and see what's up. Found an AWS trawler but couldn't get a good setup on him, so I let it pass. Closed on the harbor and found a Merchy doing 1 knot. I closed to 1000 yards and fired 2 fish. Watched both go under. Fired 2 more at 800 yards and watched them go under. Fired 2 more and watched them go under as well. Grrr Surfaced and sank it with gun fire. As I was doing this, I got messages that the torpedoes had exploded. I could see in the distance them exploding on the beach.

6 wasted shots.

CW

What was the date? Wondering if found the Guam invasion force or was after.

Yes, torpedoes run deep per history, even those set to minimum depth will not always run shallow enough to actuate the magnetic exploder. Judging by reading patrol reports and other materials, depth control problem was responsible for most of the misses in early war (Dec 41-Fall 1942) so this was implemented into the update. Previously player could set torpedo to minimum depth and nearly always get a hit with magnetic exploder, no longer the case. This helps to keep tonnage at realistic levels for most part and provides the aggravation early war skippers and crews felt.

While 6 out of 6 running deep happens, ion most testing at least 1 out of six would hit. Sometimes none of torpedoes would run deep or very deep, its really a random and chance things that changes as war progresses. Issue is mostly fixed in Fall 1942 with MK 14. Can still run deep but chance lowers quite a bit, will see improvements.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote