View Single Post
Old 05-06-07, 05:25 PM   #34
AntEater
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Lol, we were always told US soldiers get a medal for completing their basic training without landing in the brig...
Actually medals are a cheap and effective way of rewarding soldiers for combat and noncombat performance, so I can understand the US practice. The Bundeswehr is the same as the brits. Some KSK guys were awarded silver stars and other US medals for Afghanistan service because the germans did not want to award anything.
Maybe the german and british militaries are too tight with the brass and ribbon toys...

Anyway, I wonder why Elanaiba is so tight lipped about where they stored the awards criteria. Even if it is in the code, we could tweak it with the mini tweaker
Apparently they are not solely renown based, but have a much more flexible system, which could be further improved by people who have more time on their hands than the developers obviously had.
Maybe it is even possible to make the award criteria time dependent...
Just about every skipper of the first war patrols to Japan got a navy cross for virtually nothing (except the skipper of Dolphin, who got a straightjacket instead..), while only a really good war patrol could get a skipper such a cross in 1944.
Ok, according to Blair, a navy cross in WW2 had some nice benefits tagged to it:
A guaranteed "tombstone promotion" to rear admiral on retirement, giving the recipent an admiral's pension even if he did not make admiral in his actice service.
I am not sure a CMOH winner should even return to active combat.
Most submarine CMOH awards were posthumously or in the last months of WW2 or even postwar.