Thread: [WIP] Realism mod
View Single Post
Old 11-02-17, 10:52 PM   #27
CaptainCruise
Eternal Patrol

Location: Long Island, New York...home of the 5 gallon economy bucket of "Cruiser's Crunchy Egg Salad"!!!
Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCadt07
Loving the mod so far! But two things;
1. Can we talk about the TLAM strike mission. At best you have a salvo of four. Mission requires 8. I don't know how realistic it would be to expect these older boats to dance the dance for an hour while you reload. Shoot your 4 shot salvo and GTFO sounds more realistic to me.

Actually, I'm seriously thinking about it. On the other hand I've just completed one such mission, and the reload time is so long that if you play right you can end up 30 KYDS from previous firing location and it's actually a perfect spot for a second salvo.
Wouldn't it be more likely that the powers that be would assign a sub with a VLS system to do a TLAM strike that required more than 4 weapons? There were enough VLS subs available to do the job, unless unforeseen circumstances made it necessary for a older 4 salvo sub to do it. Can the mission be written so it's only available when a player chooses a VLS sub?

OR, on the other hand...what you said about using the reload time to clear datum and move to a new firing position makes a lot of sense. That was the basic plan after exposing your subs position with a TLAM launch. It just makes the mission that much harder for a older boat then it would be for a VLS sub. Can there be a second variation of the mission for older boats that will only require one 4 shot salvo and then bug out to a predetermined spot to end the game?

I dunno, I'm probably overthinking this one. Just maybe adjust the reload times a bit and use whatever boat you have. Just clear datum to a new firing position and hammer down with the second salvo. You guys will work it out fine.

I had the same issue with the Whiskey/Romeo mission. Never had a solid contact on the Whiskey, just intermittent. Granted I was heading towards him for the most part and my towed array didn't lock him in. Even when I went active I still didn't get a contact. After a few pings I got the visual of a torp launch from the Whiskey that neither I nor my sonar guys heard until the torp was almost on top of me. I fired down the bearing of my last contact with him with two torps searching a few degrees apart and eventually got lucky and tagged him close in....less then 5,000yds. I evaded the torp and left the mission. Evading the torp with the new rudder settings was difficult but not impossible. You have to overcompensate with opposite rudder commands to get the course you want. As for the Romeo, he up and disappeared. I never got so much as a sniff of him. The game is definitely much more aggressive now.

"CC"
CaptainCruise is offline   Reply With Quote