View Single Post
Old 05-06-22, 05:33 AM   #10
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHoffman View Post
Yes - I leave them open for a few minutes after diving to be sure they're full.

That raises another question: when blowing the tanks, do you wait until near the surface? Do you blow them quickly or slowly?

I did some testing and the external water pressure seems to be factored into how much compressed air is required to empty the tanks. If you blow the tanks when deep it requires far more compressed air than if you blow them near the surface (great!!!).

The only thing I couldn't quite determine is if blowing them slowly is more efficient than blowing them quickly? My guess is there is a maximum rate the water will leave the tanks, and it might be possible to compress the tanks with air, thereby losing air when the tanks finally empty and the pressure equalizes with the atmosphere??

A low-pressure blow, cutting the compressed air before the tanks are completely empty, would therefore reduce the compression in the tanks, and save compressed air as well by not using more air than necessary?

I need to do some more testing!
I try to follow the historical surfacing procedure:

1. Steer dynamically to periscope depth using hydroplanes. All depth changes are made dynamically.

2. After checking all clear with the scope, great speed ahead, forward planes hard up, aft up 5, and start the blowing (full turns of wheel all the way).

3. As soon as the tower comes up, stop blowing. While still on electrics, head up to the bridge and make sure all clear.

4. If all clear, finish blowing and switch to diesels. Historically, they finished blowing using diesel exhaust from one engine, thereby saving on compressed air. But in the game your compressed air refills quickly so no need to worry as long as you initiate blowing from periscope depth.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote