View Single Post
Old 09-26-20, 09:52 AM   #22
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Exactly. Probably the best "dropper" in the game is the ATB_USTorpeodBomber, just so long at there isn't too much AA for them either, because they are even slower than the Kate or Betty when dropping... I'm wondering about the Kate's config, in that it is named "ADB_..." but designated "Type=303", while the Betty is designtated a "Type=302" for a Dive Bomber, but will drop torpedoes, though sometimes rather strangely, as you describe. Here... The Kate usually does a better job of it than I'm seeing, but they are definitely taking it on the chin with the AA that a US Iowa Class or Fletcher Class can throw up... I'll eventually catch it on "video" for Bublehead1980... maybe... lol
I may be nuts, but I distinctly recall seeing single Bettys on several different occasions make what I think is a normal run at my boat in some earlier iteration of FOTRSU. Somewhere around 1,000 yards out, the low-flying Betty dropped a torp. I could see the splash after which the Betty would climb away turning to its port, and I could watch the torp barreling in on my boat from quite a ways out using the external (underwater) view. Because I cheated using the external view I was able to evade the torp by slowing, speeding up, or diving.

I haven't seen it lately because I have taken my orders to heart. I do run on the surface, but at first contact with any plane I dive to 100' or so, run slow, and wait until dark before coming back up. If they can't see you, they can't sheet you.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote